September 6, 2011

September 6, 2011

Well hello there!!! So this past week was fun.

The highlight of it was us teaching this one family. We were teaching the parents then the 10 and 7 year olds had some questions about the church. The 7 year old asked "How did church get started?” So we taught them the restoration using the Gospel Art Book. At the end of the lesson, we taught the kids how to pray. The 10 year old said the prayer for us and then they had to go to bed cause it was like 8:50 pm. While we were talking to the parents, Elder Harrison heard the 10 and 7 year old kids upstairs taking turns practicing how to pray. It was probably one of the most amazing things I've had happen on my mission. So that was a highlight of the week.

The other was I had to have a tooth pulled.... yeah.... Remember how I bashed my tooth out of place back in December? Yeah, it got infected again so. What had happened the first time it got infected, the dentist tried to do a root canal on it. One of the roots, however, was in the shape of an S so his tools couldn't get around the curves and a file was broken and left in my tooth. So, I had to go see an Endodontist and he told me that he could try and get around it with his tools, but in the end it most likely wouldn't work. So he suggested I get it pulled. I figured if he couldn't fix it then it probably couldn't be fixed. So they got me in to see an oral surgeon right away. I got in, filled out the paperwork, and waited until they came and got me. Then they numbed me up and waited for about fifteen minutes until the numbing stuff was working and the oral surgeon came in and said "let's do this". Less than a minute later my tooth was out. He had to work on it to get it out because of that curved root but it came out. So then I went to have table time with the sisters in my district (where I sit down and talk with them about how they're doing because I can't go on exchanges with them) and the Charlottesville 1st sisters actually went and made lunch for us and brought it to us. I have a really awesome district.

Later that night, we were invited to come to our wards Mutual activity. They were having an MTC thing and Elder Harrison and I were in charge of teaching about companionship study. The problem was we had only 15 minutes for each group and there were three groups. That wasn't nearly enough time to teach effectively about companionship study, but we did it. All the while I had a hole in my mouth. Yeah.... good times......

So, yeah, that's what's happening in the life of Elder Mangum. I'm helping people come closer to Christ and at the same time getting teeth pulled out of my face. It's really one heck of an experience!!!

Oh, and last preparation day, we hiked up Humpback Rocks again. Those are the pictures I'm including.

I hope and pray y'all are doing good and not having as many problems as I am.

I love y'all

-Elder Ricky-dude

--
P.S. The Church is true!
P.P.S. FROG - Fully Rely On God

PICTURES:

1 - Part of my Zone: (left to right) Elder Harrison, Elder Clark, Sister Ferrin, Sister Kocherhans, Sister Bready, Sister Barney, Sister Butterfield, and Hermana Sinclair

2 - A tree that was struck by lightning

3 - Me in a cave

4 - left to right: Sister Bready, Sister Barney, Sister Kocherhans, and Sister Ferrin

5 - The Doughboy has arrived!!!!!

6 – Humpback Rocks