April 16, 2012

April 16, 2012

So... We got transfer calls last night. And here's how it went.

We were saying the closing prayer for our nightly planning, not really expecting what was about to come. During the prayer the phone rang. It was the assistant to the president, Elder Brown (name has been changed for his protection.... ;) ). When I saw the phone my heart skipped a beat. I didn't want to leave Midlothian for my last six weeks! You know how hard that would be? When the prayer ended I quickly picked up the phone and answered it.

"Hello this is Elder Mangum!" I said like I do when I answer the phone.
"Elder Mangum, it's Elder Brown, how are you?"
"I'm doing alright. How are you doing?" I was nervous as to what was about to come.
"Good. Were you two expecting a phone call?"
"No." I replied with an astonished tone to my voice.
"Well, you, my friend, are in tune with the Spirit because you both are staying!"

When I heard those vibrations come out of the speaker into my ear canal, to my ear-drum and then the cochlea, which then processed them into words I understood, my soul was filled with great gladness beyond words!! I am going to finish my mission in the Midlothian area!

Elder Brown then proceeded to tell us that we would have another missionary who is waiting for his Visa to go to Bulgaria. We will be picking him up on Thursday at the transfer meeting.

So all in all, I'm going to have an exciting last six weeks. Can you believe it? Tomorrow I will have exactly six weeks left in the mission field!

Okay, so, here's the spiritual thought for the week.

Be careful what you pray for.

Here's why I say that. After President Eyring's talk about mountains to climb, I felt prompted to pray for one of my own to climb. Knowing how much pain and trial that might bring, why would any one in their right mind pray for that? Well, apparently I'm not in my right mind. So, Heavenly Father has gladly given me a mountain to climb.

Do you all remember how I've had previous low-back injuries? Well, if you didn't know, now you do. I hurt it during football in high school, and I threw something out in my back in November 2010 lifting a large box of photos (the day we were having a baptism down in Burkeville). Well, Heavenly Father has given me the challenge of having severe back pain which has lead to really painful sciatica in my legs. Also, you remember how I fell off the roof when I was 14? My neck and shoulder on my left side are acting up now too. And I injured my right wrist splitting wood last year in January, and that has been acting up too. So, all in all, I'm in pain everyday.

But don't worry!!! I have the Atonement of Jesus Christ to strengthen me!

The article in the April 2012 Ensign by Elder Bednar has changed my life. He quotes President David O. McKay, I think, and states that the Gospel is to make bad men good and good men better. He then goes on to focus more on how the Atonement can help us in our process of going from good to better. He explains that because Jesus Christ felt exactly what we've felt, when we pray to be STRENGTHENED in our trials (not to have them taken away) Christ knows exactly what we need to be able to endure them. That is what I've been doing, praying to have the strength to bear this burden............ and I'm doing physical therapy also, which is helping tremendously!

So don't worry about me, I'll be fine. The Lord is with me. I'm glad I prayed for this mountain to climb while I was still on my mission because I have the strength from the setting apart as a missionary to help me.

I love you all and I know that if you pray for the strength to bear your trials, the Lord will bless you with the strength you need to get through them.

In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

-Elder Ricky-dude

P.S. The Church is true!
P.P.S. FROG - Fully Rely On God