February 3, 2012

January 30, 2012

So... I'm tired. But, hey, that's missionary life.

Anyway, Elder Quiambao and Elder Ward are my new companions. They're awesome. Elder Ward is waiting for a Visa to go to Ukraine and he's pretty funny. He's from LA. Elder Quiambao originally from the Philippines (or however you spell it) and he's pretty funny too. He plays the piano and is actually quite good at it.

I get to be a district leader and it's weird to be in a leadership position again. I forgot how stressful it is. Yeah, I'm a little stressed, but it means that I have opportunity to grow! :D

The coolest thing that happened this past week, well, one of the best things, was being able to talk with a member family, we'll call them the Barnes family, about the gospel. Really, what it actually was was Bro. Barnes teaching US about the scriptures. He was raised Methodist and when he was growing up, in his sunday school, for every 5 scriptures you memorized you got a red star. For every 5 red stars you got a blue start; for every 5 blue stars you get a gold star; a
gold star and a years perfect attendance and you got a bible. Bro. Barnes got 7 bibles. Yeah, he knows the scriptures. So, for about an hour and a half, Bro. Barnes taught us about how to be better missionaries and about how we need to find out what kind of people we're teaching.

Two of the biggest things that stuck out to me are:
1 - The Church doesn't need defending. It is what it is and it's the truth. You can take it or leave it but it doesn't need defending;
2 - When someone brings up a concern (i.e. polygamy, blacks and the priesthood, etc.)
ask them "is that important to you?" If they say no, then ask them to ask the question they really want to ask; and 3 - (I know I said two but this one is important also) be bold and when someone starts trying to argue just tell them "I've been sent by a prophet of God to share a
message with you. Would you like to hear it or not?"

So, I'm gonna try and do that now, but I'm going to follow the Spirit in knowing how to best use them, because being bold without the Spirit is just plain old rude and annoying.

I'm so glad that I could be here on a mission. There are so many blessings I've received while being out here that have helped me so much and that will help me long after my mission is over. I wouldn't trade this for anything.

I love you all and hope and pray y'all are doing well.

Love ya,

-Elder Ricky-dude